Graduate membership of the Society is the starting point to your career as a psychologist. Becoming a Graduate Member of the Society is a prerequisite for many Society-accredited post-graduate and Doctoral programmes.
As a graduate member you will receive:
- the title 'MBPsS' after your name
- a subscription to The Psychologist (print and digital)
- free online access to the Society's archive of academic journals
- discounts on conferences and events
- and a variety of other benefits
To join as a Graduate Member, you'll need to have achieved at least a 2:2 in an undergraduate degree accredited by the Society, or to have completed an accredited conversion course.
If you're already a student member, sign in and upgrade from within your subscriptions page.
You will need the following to complete the application:
Certification for Qualification
Non-UK applicants are considered to be those who gained their degree at an institution outside of the UK.
To become a Graduate Member, the Society will consider:
- whether you hold a degree from a recognised university or comparable institution; and
- if it is of an equivalent standard to a British bachelors degree at a minimum of lower 2nd class honours level; and
- whether your degree includes at least 50 per cent psychology; and
- if your qualifications cover the core areas of the GBC in sufficient breadth and depth.
Following a Memorandum of Cooperation between the Society and the Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI), those eligible for Graduate Membership of the PSI after having gained an academic award accredited by the PSI are also eligible for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society.
Graduate membership subscription fees range from £36 to £134 per year plus a one-off joining fee of £21.
The Society’s subscription year runs from January to December and future subscription payments are due in January regardless of when you first joined. A full year’s subscription is always required upon admission to membership.
If you join between:
- January – June: you will be charged the yearly rate which will all be allocated to this year’s subscription.
- July – September: you will be charged the yearly rate but half the payment will be carried forward reducing the amount due from you for the following year.
- October – December: your full payment will be allocated to the following year.
There are a number of ways you can pay your subscription
- Online card payment (preferred)
- Bank transfer
- By phone
- Cheque or postal orders
If you have any queries about the applications process, please contact the Membership Team:
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 (0)116 252 9911